[Dnsmasq-discuss] ethers should have precedence over client dhcp request

Michael Rack dnsmasq.list at michaelrack.de
Mon Jul 6 08:46:21 BST 2009

Am 05.07.2009 21:45, schrieb Simon Kelley:
> Felix Schwarz wrote:
>
>> I have the situation that I changed the ip address in /etc/ethers. However
>> when the client sends a DHCPREQUEST with its old address (because the lease is
>> still valid) dnsmasq sends a DHCPACK and renews the lease. Therefore the
>> client could use the ip indefinitely. Is that correct or did I misinterpreted
>> my logs?
>>
>> What I would like to see is that /etc/ethers has precedence over the lease
>> file. If a new DHCPDISCOVER / DHCPREQUEST comes in, dnsmasq should check the
>> ethers and offer only the ip address which is written there.
>>

> That's the designed behavior: dnsmasq should send a DHCPNAK when a
> client has a defined IP address and the client renews a lease for a
> different address. The DHCPNAK will force the client to go through the
> whole DISCOVER/REQUEST cycle.
>
> I suspect that your problems with duplicate IP addresses in /etc/ethers
> may have confused this, but if you have a clear case where it's not
> working, please let me have details and I'll check it out as a possble bug.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Hi Simon,

i have the same probleme here. I just plugged in the network-cable to my
VoIP-Phone (snom 360). Snom discovered for an ip-address and dnsmasq
gave it a free address in the dhcp-pool. After that, i added the
mac-address to the dhcp-host-addresses and set the ip-address to a
different one. Snom 360 allways got DHCPACK for requesting the old
ip-address. I had to delete the dhcp-lease-file-entry and restart dnsmasq.

Michael.