[Dnsmasq-discuss] extension of configuration files

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:15:01 BST 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Helmut Hullen<Hullen at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hallo, richardvoigt at gmail.com,
>
> Du meintest am 05.07.09:
>
>>> What about just leaving it as it's now? :-)
>
>> How about a compromise -- not a full wildcard syntax, but a
>> user-controlled literal suffix match?  e.g.
>
>> conf-dir-suffix=.conf
>
> And then many old installations which have files with no extensions get
> problems ...
>
> Perhaps something like
>
>        either no extension
>        or
>        extension = .conf
>
> may solve the most problems.
>
>> Or you could let other programs do the heavy lifting and have a
>> just-in-time config command whose output is processed.  Dangerous
>> because it has to be run before forking as nobody, but very powerful:
>
>> jit-config=/bin/sh -c "cat /etc/conf.d/dnsmasq/*.conf"
>
> My distribution (slackware) has no "/etc/conf.d" directory - that's the
> second problem. Each user (sysadm) can define his (or her) own "conf-
> dir".
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

I guess I didn't explain these were meant to be examples of
configuration options, that the user could edit to suit themselves,
just like every other configuration option dnsmasq provides.  If
slackware doesn't have /etc/conf.d then supply your own command for
finding the configuration.  And the default would be no external
configuration directory, just like it is today.

But Simon's solution of a user-defined list of suffixes to exclude
seems an ideal tradeoff between flexibility and complexity.