[Dnsmasq-discuss] VPN DNS prioritization

David Schnur dnschnur at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 17:05:51 BST 2009

> Have you tried specifying the DNS servers statically? List the VPN server
>> first, then your LAN server. If the VPN server is unreachable, it ought to
>> proceed to your LAN server, though that might result in a delay.

I came across another solution, in this Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311218

There's a registry setting that determines the order in which adapters are
used.  The VPN adapter is at the end of the list whether I'm using Dnsmasq
or not, so that's still a mystery.  Moving the adapter to the top of the
list restores the old behavior without having to specify DNS servers
manually.

David