[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP options and SIGHUP

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 15:44:30 BST 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Olaf Westrik<weizen_42 at ipcop-forum.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I have a question and/or problem with using various DHCP options and
> reloading them by using SIGHUP.
>
> Following use case:
> 'global' DHCP settings (rarely changing) and several static leases, some
> of which using dhcp-boot for PXE boot.
>
> Now I would like to reread the static leases after changes have been
> made by using SIGHUP. No problem if I put the dhcp-host configuration
> lines in a file referenced by dhcp-hostsfile, but what to do with the
> dhcp-boot lines?
>

> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> Olaf

First I'll start by saying I dont have the answer to your question.
That being said, the fact that you are in a situation where the
question is relevant really interests me.

In my setup I only have one dhcp-boot line, and a gpxe match dhcp-boot
line (which may be going away as my experiments with gpxe and iscsi
booting have not provided fruitful results)

For my personal curiosity, if no other reason, could you explain what
you are trying to do.  It sounds like you are wanting to set a host
specific dhcp-boot so that different hosts get different starts, am I
right?

Im not sure this is possible as you have stated it.  But have you
explored the idea of a scripted pxelinux default dhcp-boot file?
suppose you could start all clients the same, they started with
pxelinux.0 and loaded the default file.

then that default file is where the advanced selection is made. and
you get a special kernel/append line on a per instance basis.

the latest version of syslinux includes gpxelinux.0 which works as a
replacement for pxelinux.0 and it is scriptable if pxelinux.0 is not.

HTH

Rance