[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp address allocation

gabriel mailgabriel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 21:23:00 BST 2009

hi,
a few months ago i found dnsmasq as a comfortable replacement for my
dhcp3-server, bind9 with ddns setup. but one thing i am currently missing:

the dhcp server from isc tries to provide the same ip address to a client.

even if the client disconnects and afterwards connects again to the network
the server looks up in the leases file for the outdated ticked an tries to
keep its ip. if i didn't got it totally confused this is not the case for
dnsmasq - in the sources i found a simple increment for the ip address after
some validity and consistency checks were passed.

so my question finally is: is it possible to get a similar behaviour of
dnsmasq without switching to fixed addresses?

actually i use arpwatch to detect new clients on my network and since the ip
addresses from the clients permanently change this is not possible anymore.

thanks for reply in advance,
gabriel

--
gpg/pgp schlüssel (id 0x4BBD6B8F) unter:
http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0x4BBD6B8F&op=vindex