[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq is not sending the hostname to the client.

james meyer james.meyer at operamail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:02:54 BST 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:29 AM, james meyer<james.meyer at operamail.com>
wrote:
> > didn't
> >>
> >> I don't think that dhcp-ignore-names matches against a MAC address as
> >> you've tried to do, it uses a "network-id" instead (although the
> >> dhcp-host line can map between them).  Have you tried ignoring all
> >> names first to see if it has the desired effect?  Then you can
> >> restrict it if needed after you know whether it works.
> >>
> > Tried adding the line dhcp-ignore-names without any network-id's.
> > It did start ignoring names for other hosts, but didn't help me out in
this
> > situation.
>
> What version of dnsmasq are you using?

I have tried both 2.47 and 2.49.
2.47 is my preference as it's on my router running the tomato firmware.
2.49 is installed on my desktop for testing.

What appears to be happening is
1) dhcpcd is requesting the hostname from dnsmasq (can be seen in the network
capture)
2) dnsmasq does not respond with a hostname, unless dhcpcd sends a null
hostname in the request.  This also can be seen in the network capture

I would like to  know the suggested hostname regardless of if the client
already has a hostname.