[Dnsmasq-discuss] Strange (well, I can't udnerstand it) /etc/hosts effect

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 22:23:57 BST 2009

On 08/12/2009 11:23 AM, Chris G wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 01:30:20PM -0400, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Chris G<cl at isbd.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> I run a fairly default version of dnsmasq on my xubuntu 9.04 Linux box
>>> so that I don't have to maintain losts of network (or hosts)
>>> configurations around our network.
>>>
>>> I have just added:-
>>>
>>>     127.0.0.1       www.google-analytics.com  ssl.www.google-analytics.com
>>>
>>> to my /etc/hosts file.  I'm not paranoid about snooping but I am fed
>>> up with having to wait for www.google-analytics.com to respond, it's
>>> often quite slow taking several seconds with the address displayed at
>>> the bottom of Firefox.
>>>
>>> So, it appears to work, but why does 'host' respond as follows:-
>>>
>>>     chris$ host www.google-analytics.com
>>>     www.google-analytics.com has address 127.0.0.1
>>>     www.google-analytics.com is an alias for www-google-analytics.l.google.com.
>>>     www.google-analytics.com is an alias for www-google-analytics.l.google.com.
>>>
>>> Why don't the aliases disappear as well?
>>>
>> Did you clear your cache?
>>

> Whose cache?  I restarted dnsmasq with a "kill -1", is there anything else?

The dnsmask man page says:
.
.
.
NOTES
        When  it  receives a SIGHUP, *dnsmasq clears its cache* and then
re-loads
        /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers and  any  file  given  by
--dhcp-hostsfile,
        --dhcp-optsfile  or  --addn-hosts.   The  dhcp  lease  change
script is
        called for all existing DHCP leases. If --no-poll is  set
SIGHUP  also
        re-reads  /etc/resolv.conf.   SIGHUP does NOT re-read the
configuration
        file.

        When it receives a SIGUSR1, dnsmasq writes  statistics  to  the
system
        log.  It  writes  the cache size, the number of names which have
had to
        removed from the cache before they expired in order to  make
room  for
        new  names  and  the total number of names that have been
inserted into
        the cache. For each upstream server it  gives  the  number  of
queries
        sent, and the number which resulted in an error. In --no-daemon
mode or
        when full logging is enabled (-q), a complete dump of the
contents  of
        the cache is made.

        When it receives SIGUSR2 and it is logging direct to a file (see
--log-
        facility ) dnsmasq will close and reopen the log file. Note that
during
        this operation, dnsmasq will not be running as root. When it
first cre-
        ates the logfile dnsmasq changes the ownership of the file to
the  non-
        root  user  it  will run as. Logrotate should be configured to
create a
        new log file with the ownership which matches the existing  one
before
        sending  SIGUSR2.   If TCP DNS queries are in progress, the old
logfile
        will remain open in child processes which are handling TCP
queries  and
        may  continue  to  be  written.  There is a limit of 150
seconds, after
        which all existing TCP processes will have expired: for this
reason, it
        is  not  wise  to configure logfile compression for logfiles
which have
        just been rotated. Using logrotate, the required options are
create and
        delaycompress.