[Dnsmasq-discuss] router won't query itsself

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Thu Aug 13 07:50:00 BST 2009

Hallo, JD,

you wrote am 12.08.09 zum Thema Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] router won't query
itsself:

> Even so, I do not see the need to let the host be bothered by a
> changing IP address provided by the ISP.
> Let all that be handled by a cheap router, whose LAN ip address
> remains constant to the lan in it's

Sorry: no.
That "cheap router" is very often a black box with strange
preconfigurations, with to few logs, etc. etc.

That's a job a Linux server can do better. There I can read better
documentations, man pages etc., there i can see better log files, there
i can ask in newsgroups etc.

In my special case: the server is (as a feature) disconnected every
night for some hours. Thats's hard to realize with most external routers
(and I know many of these chests).

And I have to switch to many providers: DSL, ISDN, analogue Modem,
broadband.
Only DSL-Routers are cheap - I have to work with my special ISP
configurations in all other cases.

> I am surprised that people are making work for themselves for
> nothing.

I speak for my system, not for mouse clickers, not for "all in a box"
consumers.

If I would use an external router then why should I use dnsmasq?

Please excuse my gerlish.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut