[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq replies with 127.0.01

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Sun Aug 23 01:07:46 BST 2009

Enrique (cquike at arcor.de) wrote on 22 August 2009 23:51:
 > I am using dnsmasq in the context of the virt-manager software. My server
 >contains the virtualization software, including dnsmasq. I have an issue when
 >client of dnsmasq (one of the virtual machines) tries to resolve the name of
 >the server. Because dnsmasq runs in the server and it reads the /etc/hosts
 >file, it returns 127.0.0.1 as the IP of the server, instead of the IP
 >associated to eth0.

How does dnsmasq discover that name-of-the-server is 127.0.0.1? In the
machines I run dnsmasq it's not able to guess that much. The only way
I can imagine is that you put this entry in /etc/hosts. If so, don't.
The only entry pointing to 127.0.0.1 should be localhost. Just put
IP-of-the-server name-of-the-server; no need to worry about routing,
the kernel is smart enough to discover it's local and send it to the
internal IP.