[Dnsmasq-discuss] TFTP Boot update "for those who find this problem in the future"

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Aug 25 10:31:00 BST 2009

richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> I can't think of a single circumstance where a manufacturer-provided
> boot PROM would have more appropriate network-specific settings than
> the TFTP server configuration.
>
> Maybe tftp-no-blocksize should be set by default (with a
> tftp-honor-blocksize to negate it).
>
> But I don't use BOOTP remote booting, so Simon probably has good
> reasons for doing things the way they are.

Setting tftp-no-blocksize forces 512-byte blocks and makes the
already-slow TFTP transfer three times slower. Since most netbooting
happens over a local net which is a physical ethernet with well-known
MTU, it makes sense for the client to request a blocksize suitable for
that media.

It's not clear to me why the MTU on Philippe's network is smaller, but I
  think a small MTU is a fairly rare occurrence. Even when it does
happen, it shouldn't be a show stopper: that takes badly broken client
firmware that has clearly never had any code-paths other than the most
common ones tested.