[Dnsmasq-discuss] One client gets my domain name appended, another gets .local, why?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Aug 26 22:20:34 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 05:44:33PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> I have dnsmasq running with a fairly basic configuration but (among
> other things) it does have:-
>
>     expand-hosts
>     domain=isbd.net
>
> Two clients do as I expected and their host names have isbd.net appended:-
>
>     maxine.isbd.net          ether   00:50:8d:93:fd:09   C                eth0
>     C475IP.isbd.net          ether   00:01:e3:9d:8b:b5   C                eth0
>
> But one doesn't:-
>
>     MyBookWorld.local        ether   00:90:a9:70:06:ff   C                eth0
>

> Can anyone explain why that one gets .local appended rather than
> .isbd.net and more to the point how can I fix it (apart from hard
> coding it somewhere)?  MyBookWorld.local is a Western Digital NAS
> running some sort of Linux, I have command line root access to it but
> would prefer not to modify it if there's a better way to make it get
> the domain name.
>
> The MyBookWorld.local system does know it's on isbd.net because it's
> resolv.conf file has:-
>
>     search isbd.net
>     nameserver 192.168.1.4

No ideas anyone?  I'm still stuck, I have changed the system's name to
'garage' now and have even managed to add a domain line to resolv.conf
so it now has:-

    domain isbd.net
    search isbd.net
    nameserver 192.168.1.4

.... but the system *still* gets called garage.local by dnsmasq.  Is
there any way I can tell dnsmasq to simply force the name to 'garage'
regardless of what it tells dnsmasq?

I've just tried 'uname -a' on the system and that reports its name as
garage.isbd.net so why dnsmasq thinks it's garage.local I don't know.

In addition for some reason all the other systems on the network can
be addressed as <name>.local as well as <name>.isbd.net, it's just the
garage system that only works as .local.

Help!

--
Chris Green