[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can dnsmasq 'alias' a host name?

Perette Barella perette at barella.org
Wed Sep 2 18:55:00 BST 2009

A note on the on the .local pseudo-top-level-domain: It's used by
multicast DNS, implemented on Macs primarily I think.  mDNS is used by
machines forming an ad-hoc network, and works in parallel with DNS.
Although I can't remember my problem now, I recall a name-related race
condition battle on my network when my local DNS domain also
used .local .  The .local entry at Wikipedia gives a similar warning:

"Name resolution issues may arise if Bonjour, Avahi, or other
Multicast DNS software is used in conjunction with a network that
implements the local toplevel DNS domain."
	[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local]

Best,

Perette