[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can dnsmasq 'alias' a host name?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Sep 2 20:00:45 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 01:55:00PM -0400, Perette Barella wrote:
> A note on the on the .local pseudo-top-level-domain: It's used by
> multicast DNS, implemented on Macs primarily I think.  mDNS is used by
> machines forming an ad-hoc network, and works in parallel with DNS.
> Although I can't remember my problem now, I recall a name-related race
> condition battle on my network when my local DNS domain also
> used .local .  The .local entry at Wikipedia gives a similar warning:

Yes, I *really* wanted the garage.local system to report its name as
garage but even though I have full (i.e. root) access to the system I
can't make it change its name.  Other systems on my LAN report as
expected without the .local.  The system that insists on .local is a
Western Digital NAS which runs Linux.

> "Name resolution issues may arise if Bonjour, Avahi, or other
> Multicast DNS software is used in conjunction with a network that
> implements the local toplevel DNS domain."
> 	[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local]

My *network* does nothing of the sort, it has a proper registered TLD.

> Best,
>
> Perette
>
> Chris G wrote:
> > Can dnsmasq provide an alternative name for a client?
> >
> > This is going on from my problem with a system that insists on calling
> > itself garage.local when I want it to be called garage.
> >
> > Is there a way that I can tell dnsmasq that garage.local is also
> > garage so that requests for the address of garage will get the address
> > of garage.local?

Chris Green