[Dnsmasq-discuss] macport installation not starting

Perette Barella perette at barella.org
Fri Sep 4 08:52:23 BST 2009

I've just done a port install dnsmasq on my desktop (Leopard) and it
doesn't try to invoke that script.  Maybe the /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.macports.dnsmasq.plist file got munged in the SnowLeopard
transition and hasn't been fixed in MacPorts yet?

Here's the Leopard contents... I'd suggest trying plugging this in and
see what happens, worst case is just still doesn't work:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd" >
<plist version='1.0'>
<dict>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
	<string>/opt/local/bin/daemondo</string>
	<string>--label=dnsmasq</string>
	<string>--start-cmd</string>
	<string>/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.dnsmasq/
dnsmasq.wrapper</string>
	<string>start</string>
	<string>;</string>
	<string>--stop-cmd</string>
	<string>/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.dnsmasq/
dnsmasq.wrapper</string>
	<string>stop</string>
	<string>;</string>
	<string>--restart-cmd</string>
	<string>/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.dnsmasq/
dnsmasq.wrapper</string>
	<string>restart</string>
	<string>;</string>
	<string>--pid=none</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

If that doesn't work, maybe put the file back to the SnowLeopard state
and try to find the missing script... maybe it's just misplaced.  Try
a 'find / -name dnsmasq.sh -print'.

You might also want to check the MacPorts bug tracker to see if this
has been reported and if there's any workaround for it.  If not, then
it probably should get added along with anything you figure out.

As far as the second issue... I know my dnsmasq points to its own
resolv.conf, not the actual one.  Automating this for you probably
means it's going to break things for others.

Perette