[Dnsmasq-discuss] MAN Page Link Broken? and redundancy question

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 21:23:32 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Robert Boerner<robert.boerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, it appears (at least to me) that as of right now the link to
> the online version of the MAN page simply leads to a blank page
> (http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html). Can
> anyone else confirm?

I have the same result (no content on that page).

> Second, I tried looking through the mailing list and other pages but I
> have (what I hope) a simple question about configuring dnsmasq:
>
> I have the software running (very well I might add) on a Marvell
> Sheevaplug. I ideally would like to have two of these inexpensive
> devices running to provide redundancy. Is there a way to configure two
> concurrently running instances of dnsmasq (one each on a physically
> separate device) for the same DHCP scope so that if one instance fails
> the other takes over? I saw this can be done with the ISC DHCP daemon
> but I like dnsmasq better :-)

You could split the address pool into two and configure half on each.
Then during normal operations there will be a race to offer an
address, the client will accept only one.  If one fails, the other
will continue offering addresses.  If one runs out of addresses, the
other continues to work fine.  The only problem would be if one fails
and the other runs out of addresses.

Are you using the dnsmasq machines as the gateway, or another router?
That could become pretty important if you want redundancy (you
actually have to transfer the address of the failed unit).