[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: dnsmasq-2.51rc1

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Oct 1 11:51:50 BST 2009

Am 29.09.2009, 22:08 Uhr, schrieb Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>:

> The development branch of dnsmasq has amassed quite a few changes, going
> back 3 months in some cases: most of the work was done before the 2.50
> security-only release. I think it's time therefore to make a new
> release, and I'm making a first release-candidate available at
>
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/release-candidates/dnsmasq-2.51rc1.tar.gz
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/release-candidates/dnsmasq-2.51rc1.tar.lzma
>
> Please test this, and/or translate it, as appropriate. (Translators,
> drop me a note if you're working and I'll hold off a final release until
> you're done.)
>
> version 2.51
>             Add support for internationalised DNS. Non-ASCII characters
>             in domain names found in /etc/hosts, /etc/ethers and
>             /etc/dnsmasq.conf will be correctly handled by translation
>             to punycode, as specified in RFC3490. This function is only
>             available if dnsmasq is compiled with internationalisation
>             support, and adds a dependency on GNU libidn. Without i18n
>             support, dnsmasq continues to be compilable with just
>             standard tools. Thanks to Yves Dorfsman for the
>             suggestion.

Some findings of the -rc1:

- During build, I18N - which currently comprises IDN _and_ NLS as an
inseparable union - only works with GNU make, not with BSD's make.

- IDN needs pkg-config (just like DBus also needs pkg-config) - there are
some GNUisms, but I don't have good/efficiently implemented ideas to avoid
these. GNU make is readily available on most systems though.

These two requirements are not documented, please consider documenting
them.

- Unless I'm missing some links in setup.html, the whole build is
massively underdocumented, no mention of DBus or i18n anywhere, and
setup.html doesn't appear to be linked from doc.html and vice versa. I'd
suggest to add the whole COPT=-Dfoo system to setup.html, too, or at least
point to src/config.h and mention how to most efficiently set these
options.

- I wonder how dnsmasq will figure out the proper character set for these
files -- or will it just assume UTF-8? Older systems might use some
ISO-8859-* variant. (Sorry, no time to read source now.)

- The "all-i18n" target creates the .mo files under /src which I find
counterintuitive.

- The German translation is - with 17/313 messages - so incomplete it's
not worth shipping. I don't have sufficient time to do it on short notice
though, so I'll not try.

Best regards
Matthias

--