[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple resolv.conf files ...

Clinton Lee Taylor clintonlee.taylor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 11:51:54 BST 2009

Greetings ...

>>  Been looking into creating a Linux Router that can be used for
>> internet connection fall over, when the primary internet connection
>> fails, I would like to have the router switch to the backup.  I know
>> that DnsMasq can't really help with this, but, I'm looking at making a
>> second connection, using 3G ...
>>
>>  So, my problem is that without making very complicated scripts, could
>> we not make DnsMasq be able to read multiple resolv.conf type files
>
> Simon already has this covered, read your man page, which says
> "Dnsmasq can be told to poll more than one resolv.conf file".
 Arh, yes ... I did see this and hoped that it would work similar to
other multiple options ...

> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html
 Went through that, but I did not get it to work as I had hoped ...

> You'll solve your problem a lot faster than waiting for an answer from the list.
 Mmm, right and wrong ... If you read the little bit before, I was
hoping that I could read multiple resolv.conf type files, but testing
showed something that did not seem to be working as I had expected ...
Was hoping that either what I was epxecting, could be helped or maybe
another insight into another way to do a similar thing ...

>>  The reason I would like this, is that each internet facing interface,
>> using something like DHCP, would have their own DNS server list that I
>> could get DnsMasq to read/use, so that DNS queries would be sent down
>> each active internet interface ...

 I added to my dnsmasq.conf file two lines as follows ...

resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf.dnsmasq-eth0
resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf.dnsmasq-3g

 But when I restart dnsmasq, it only list the last resolv.conf file
and the dns server there in ... Do I need to use the -r option from
the command line ( init script ) or can this option be used in the
dnsmasq.conf file?

Oct 14 12:49:30 hermes dnsmasq[8652]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Oct 14 12:49:30 hermes dnsmasq[8700]: started, version 2.45 cachesize 150
Oct 14 12:49:30 hermes dnsmasq[8700]: compile time options: IPv6
GNU-getopt no-ISC-leasefile no-DBus no-I18N TFTP
Oct 14 12:49:30 hermes dnsmasq[8700]: DHCP, IP range 192.168.1.65 --
192.168.1.115, lease time 4h
Oct 14 12:49:30 hermes dnsmasq[8700]: reading /etc/resolv.conf.dnsmasq-3g
Oct 14 12:49:30 hermes dnsmasq[8700]: using nameserver 208.67.222.222#53
Oct 14 12:49:30 hermes dnsmasq[8700]: read /etc/hosts - 8 addresses

Thanks
Mailed
LeeT