[Dnsmasq-discuss] Home network

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Oct 20 20:55:12 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:12:09PM -0500, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Nagy Péter <sun at freemail.hu> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a small network at home, and it works well locally. But now, I
> > should like to look out of the world.
> >
> > I got a dynamic address from my ISP, and I registered it on DynDNS.com
> > (e.g. nap.homelinux.net). Is it possible that my local machines can be
> > reachable from the internet, as e.g. fileserver.nap.homelinux.net?
> > If yes, how  shall I configure  DNSMASQ?
> >
> No, you have only one routable IP address, so your entire network
> appears to the outside world as one computer (the router).  But it can
> forward incoming connections to another computer, either all to a
> single computer or based on port number.  This is outside the realm of
> dns, A records don't carry any port number information at all (SRV
> records do, but most software doesn't use those).

Yes, it's usually down to the firewall *and* something called (maybe)
Port Redirection under NAT in the router.  You have to tell the router
to connect incoming requests for port XX to a particular computer on
your intranet *and* you have to open the firewall to the same thing.

Quite why routers don't combine the above two into one I have never
understood but, so far, I have never found a router that does.

> You'll be using iptables for directing incoming connections.  Good
> search keywords: "+iptables +dmz"
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > Peter

Chris Green