[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and dhcp relaying

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Oct 22 16:06:40 BST 2009

Jon Nelson wrote:
> I've got a setup (working) that looks like this:
>
> workstations <-> server <-> firewall <-> internet
>
> firewall is running dnsmasq, server is using dhcrelay
> Both firewall and server have iptables-based firewalls
>
> The setup is working fine, except
>
> 1. I don't like dhcrelay
> 2. I get lots of deny lines in server's firewall logs, *even though
> the requests work*.
>
> Pertinent to item 2, this is what tcpdump shows (on the 'firewall'
> interface of 'server').
>
> - a workstation will broadcast or unicast for an address
> - the server receives it on eth1, iptables allows it in, dhcrelay
> grabs it, and sends out a new packet on eth0 (the 'firewall' side of
> 'server')
> - dnsmasq (on 'firewall') receives it (through iptables), generates a
> response, and sends it.
>
> Here's where it gets sticky. dhcrelay receives the request on eth1,
> and sends out a request on eth0. The "Relay agent IP address" in the
> payload is eth1's IP address. dnsmasq sends the reply *to this
> address* (eth1), rather than the address it was received from (eth0).
> The dnsmasq payload appears correct, with the "Next server IP address"
> and "Relay agent IP address" properly set (eth1).
>
> This seems to be a bug in dnsmasq - shouldn't it reply using address
> that the packet was received on? The payload is correct, the UDP
> destination is wrong (it seems to me).

The current behaviour is right, according to RFC2131:

    If the 'giaddr' field in a DHCP message from a client is non-zero,
    the server sends any return messages to the 'DHCP server' port on the
    BOOTP relay agent whose address appears in 'giaddr'.

> That's the reason for the deny lines in the firewall logs, btw -
> iptables sees a request go out eth0 and come back in eth0 /destined
> for eth1/. Should dhcrelay be putting eth0 into the "Relay agent IP
> address" field?

No. That would completely break things because the Relay Agent IP
address is used to determine which subnet the client is connected to and
therefore what IP address to allocate to it. Using the address of eth0
would result in the client getting an address on the network shared by
the server and the firewall rather than one on the network shared by the
  server and workstations.

The fix (if any) here lies in modifiying the firewall rules.

If you don't like dhcrelay, you could look at
http://thekelleys.org.uk/dhcp-helper/ as an alternative.