[Dnsmasq-discuss] Is it normal to need to edit /etc/hosts for dnsmasq

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Nov 2 23:32:18 GMT 2009

I have just moved my dnsmasq server from my desktop machine to a much
lower powered machine so I can turn my desktop off and save some
electricity.

The new machine is called 'server' (original eh!) and has a static
address of 192.168.1.2.  It had a totally unmodified installation of
Ubuntu Server 9.10 before I installed dnsmasq. Thus its /etc/hosts
contained:-

    127.0.0.1       localhost
    127.0.1.1       server server.isbd.net

    ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Now this causes a problem - when asked for the address of 'server' it
returns 127.0.1.1 which isn't correct as the client machine will think
it itself is 'server'.

I notice I fixed this before by changing the 127.0.1.1 to the actual
IP address of the dnsmasq machine.  Is this normally necessary?

--
Chris Green