[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq / dns server / iptables config glitch?

Adam Hardy adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com
Fri Nov 20 20:38:13 GMT 2009

Hi

I have a problem which is not giving up its solution to any of my google searches.

I have a lan with a gateway machine running an ADSL modem and two NICs with
iptables and dnsmasq.

It also runs mysql and tomcat but is currently just a simple gateway, I'm not
trying to configure any DMZ or fancier stuff like that.

My problem is that I can access mysql using 'localhost:3306' but I can't access
it on the same box when using the machine name e.g. 'isengard:3306' and my guess
is that I have mis-configured either dnsmasq or iptables.

I figure that my command "mysql --host=isengard" is probably being resolved as
external and then getting blocked by the firewall.

My dnsmasq config file, based on the example config but with comments removed, is:

domain-needed
bogus-priv
filterwin2k
local=/localdomain/
domain=localdomain
dhcp-range=192.168.0.3,192.168.0.254
dhcp-option=option:router,192.168.0.2
dhcp-option=option:mtu,1500

and my resolv.conf file is:

nameserver 194.74.65.68

and I think this is getting continually rewritten by dhcp with the nameserver
info from the dhcp server on the modem which gives the outside NIC its internet
ip address.

Does this make any sense? Or rather does anyone see where my situation is
foobarred?

Thanks
Adam