[Dnsmasq-discuss] windows' hostname

Brad Morgan b-morgan at concentric.net
Wed Dec 2 17:50:46 GMT 2009

> Can dnsmasq set the hostname for a windows station? I ghosted an image
> across 5 computers and now they all have the same hostname. I am hoping
> that dhcp allows you to set the hostname of each machine by mac address
> so I won't get the "a duplicate name exists on the network" error.

You are going to have more problems than just the hostname with your Windows
systems. They also have duplicate system identifications (SIDs). You will
need to run a program like NewSID
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx) on each
system. You can change the hostname as well at this time.

Regards,

Brad