[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS pattern response

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Dec 4 10:29:34 GMT 2009

Eric Laganowski wrote:
> I guess I am not communicating this well. The desired dnsmasq
> behavior would be to reply, say, with 192.168.1.1 to any request
> starting with "wpad.", not just local domain, so if, say my domain is
> domain.local, dnsmasq responds with 192.168.1.1 to both
> wpad.domain.local and wpad.google.com
>
> -Eric

That's not possible. If one wanted to implement it, the logical way
would be to do full regexp pattern matching on the domains. That has
been suggested in the past, but I've always resisted it on the grounds
that it's overkill.

For wpad, the browser will always append a domain, I think. Can you not
just enumerate all the possible domains?

Agreed that DHCP would be  better way to do this, but also agreed that
it don't work on firefox (mainly because Linux lacks an API to the DHCP
system than firefox can use, and the standards for DHCP say you need to
send DHCPINFORM packets from a privileged port, which makes doing so
from process run by an ordinary user impossible.)