[Dnsmasq-discuss] why sending to resolv-file server?

B. Cook bcook at poughkeepsieschools.org
Mon Dec 14 20:26:42 GMT 2009

Hello all,

Dnsmasq version 2.50  Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Simon Kelley
Compile time options no-IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-I18N DHCP TFTP

I have a rather large setup (some 2500+ hosts) all getting dhcp from
dnsmasq.

I have 10 buildings all setup with dhcp-relay and such to get them back
to the main one.

My question is:

I do not understand why requests are getting sent to the recursor when
they do not exist..

so say for example I have the internal domain name .pcsd and each
building has a subdomain bldg1.pcsd, bldg2.pcsd..

(each building has its own config) and we block unknowns from requesting
dhcp so we have a large file with all the dhcp-host entries in it that
each building config includes..

Here is a basic entry from one of the files..

domain=war.pcsd,10.20.24.0/22
dhcp-range=war,10.20.24.33,10.20.25.128,255.255.252.0,4h
dhcp-option=war,option:router,10.20.24.1

and if dnsmasq serves the domain war.pcsd I do not need to put in an
entry like this:

server=/war.pcsd/10.20.0.16
server=/24.20.10.in-addr.arpa/10.20.0.16

yet, with the entry in or out if I do this:

host totallyfakename.war.pcsd

and then check the query.log for the recursor (bind in this case) it
will show me that bind was asked for the entry.  Even though I directly
asked dnsmasq.

Is this intended?

Or do I have something in one of my configs that is helping me shoot
myself in the foot..

:)

Thanks in advance.