[Dnsmasq-discuss] unable to resolv hosts by name in my local network

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 22:02:27 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Luca Postregna
<luca.postregna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to resolv by name the hosts of my network without modify
> /etc/hosts on the server or in the client?
> On the server in dhcp.leased I can read that my client send the hostname, is
> not that enough?
>
> Thanks, Luca.
>

> --
> http://www.infis.units.it/~lucapost/
> Luca Postregna

The clients that get dhcp addresses should already be able to resolv
by name the other dhcp clients.  If this is not true, you have a
problem and you need to fix that first.

In order for the clients to resolv by name static ip machines, the
server needs to know about them some way.

typically this is with the /etc/hosts file, but IIRC dnsmasq has the
ability to specify an additional/alternate /etc/hosts file.  this
other file needs to be a properly formatted /etc/hosts file, it can
just have another name.

This should get your clients resolving the network correctly.

The next thing you need to know about is if you want the dhcp server
to resolv local names the same way the clients do.

There is a way to configure this also.

specify in your servers /etc/resolv.conf that the server should look
at itself for name resolution, and then specify a second proper
/etc/resolv.conf file for dnsmasq to use to get the rest of the net.