[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-range - must ip address of server be outside that?

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 20:45:58 GMT 2009

PJ: see comments below:

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM,  <dnsmasq.to.peejay at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> dnsmasq.conf has a line:
>
> dhcp-range=192.168.0.50,192.168.0.150,255.255.255.0,12h
>
> (hostmin,hostmax,netmask,leasetime)
>
> If I enable that line, must the dnsmasq server itself be outside that range?
>
> Ie, for the dnsmasq server:
>  192.168.0.55 on the LAN interface would be wrong
> but
>  192.168.0.45 would be ok.
>
> regards
> PJ

Its usually helpful if your static ip addresses are all in a space
that is allocated to your dhcp pool.

The fact that you don't already know this concerns me greatly.

Dnsmasq is a great product and I've used it successfully and even
tried to contribute when I can.  But getting the most out of dnsmasq
means that you have to have a basic understanding of networking at the
IP level.

Your question indicates that perhaps you don't have that basic understanding.

I fear that you will be creating your own problems over the course of
your dnsmasq installation because you don't really know what you are
doing.

My advice: slow down, do some reading, and try to understand what you
want to do.  If you have a specific question about basic setup, or how
to make dnsmasq fit what you want, then by all means ask.

If I am wrong about my assessment of your question,  I'll apologize.

Rance