[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-range - must ip address of server be outside that?

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 01:30:51 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Rance Hall <ranceh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 5:47 PM, richardvoigt at gmail.com
> <richardvoigt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM,  <dnsmasq.to.peejay at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>>> dnsmasq.conf has a line:
>>>
>>> dhcp-range=192.168.0.50,192.168.0.150,255.255.255.0,12h
>>>
>>> (hostmin,hostmax,netmask,leasetime)
>>>
>>> If I enable that line, must the dnsmasq server itself be outside that range?
>>>
>>> Ie, for the dnsmasq server:
>>>  192.168.0.55 on the LAN interface would be wrong
>>> but
>>>  192.168.0.45 would be ok.
>>
>> In my experience, dnsmasq is smart enough to not give out its own
>> address, or any addresses mentioned in dhcp-host lines (except to the
>> computer to which it is reserved).
>>
>> It may be confusing, because your address pool is smaller than the
>> dhcp-range suggests, and you'll have fewer leases than expected when
>> dhcp starts failing, but dnsmasq won't do anything so broken as giving
>> away its own address.
>>

> Richard:
>
> This is good to know, Ive never even asked dnsmasq to do this, so I
> wouldnt have had a clue that it would work correctly.
>
> I always design a static ip pool, a device pool, and a dhcp pool that
> way I know whats going on on the network.  and I can easily ignore
> devices in searches when Im looking for a problem with an as yet
> unidentified pc somewhere.

Well, there's always the case where a customer decides they want a
static address after receiving one from the pool, and they don't want
to change the one they've already got once.  You can do this using
dhcp-host config lines or /etc/ethers -- if that computer requests an
address via dhcp it will always receive the same one, and that address
will not be given to any other computer regardless of whether the
matching host claimed its address via dhcp or had it manually entered.