[Dnsmasq-discuss] Hooking up dnsmasq with the Samba 4 AD

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Tue Jan 12 11:54:13 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 10:23:03 Simon Kelley wrote:

> > Looking at what Win2k8R2 returns, I need support for A/AAAA, PTR, NS,
> > SOA, MX, CNAME, SRV and TXT records. I haven't wrapped my head around the
> > dnsmasq code enough to see which of these are already supported.
>
> We supportall except NS and SOA currently.

Ok.

> > My plan was to either add an ldap or ldb backend to dnsmasq. I'm not too
> > exited about DBus, as it would require to add yet another RPC protocol to
> > Samba. At the moment, an ldap backend that supports the dnsZone schema
> > seems to be the best fit.
>
> Turning that around, I'd be wary of adding another RPC protocol to
> dnsmasq, which probably has tighter size contraints than Samba.

Fair enough. I'll have to poke at dbus a bit more then. Our option to support
Bind via LDAP is pretty straightforward, but memory size-wise Bind is a
monster. As I play with Samba on embedded systems, I do understand your
concern for size constraints.

> A thought: what domains are involved? If the records are for a defined
> set of domains, then you could simply configure dnsmasq with something like
>
> server=/domain.supplied.by.samba/127.0.0.1#500
>
> and add some code to samba which accepts DNS queries on port 500 (or
> whatever) and answers then. Essentially using the DNS protocol as an RPC
> method.

To be honest, if we go and implement enough of DNS to support that part, it
probably makes sense to go the last step to being a full DNS server
ourselves, which would allow us to easily handle all the encryption required
for the client-sent updates.

So if I can add (arbitrary) records to the dnsmasq via dbus, that would be an
option I could work with.

Cheers,
Kai

--