[Dnsmasq-discuss] basic host name problem

dnsmasq.to.peejay at spamgourmet.com dnsmasq.to.peejay at spamgourmet.com
Tue Jan 26 08:20:28 GMT 2010

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Adam Hardy
[leases work but]

Adam wrote:
>> I've got 127.0.0.1 in my /etc/hosts

Richard's zeroed in on the problem I reckon.

Here's the Debian Way <tm> to fix it, imho.

Did you apt-get install resolvconf? In debian that takes care of the
dnsmasq usage.

And you can add

  dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 4.2.2.4

to your interfaces file for the interface connecting to the internet on
the router for when dnsmasq doesn't have it in cache. (Use:
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.2 8.8.8.8 4.2.2.4 for the lan setting).

When you've done that, apt-get install dnsutils and see what dig
google.com or such on the router tells you is the IP of the nameserver you
are using. It should be 127.0.0.1.

Pawan Jaitly