[Dnsmasq-discuss] Help Translating DNSMasq options for NetBoot Mac

Max Turkewitz max.turkewitz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 17:46:06 GMT 2010

Don,
   Thanks for pointing out the spelling difference.
Simon,
    After making the changes I can see that DNSMasq picks up the apple-boot
tag!  It does not seem to work without the force option or with the
compressed option you suggested:
> dhcp-option=vendor:AAPLBSDPC/i386,8,81:00:00:67
My mac is specifically requesting option 60 and it is not being sent with
the above line.  I did get apple-boot tag though.

 What I found was that I need the specific dhcp options 43 and 60.

After configuring, testing, and successfully booting my Mac I uncommented
the lines:
dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,192.168.33.1,192.168.33.1
dhcp-option-force=208,f1:00:74:7e
dhcp-option=209,pxelinux.cfg/default

To test that PC's booting PXE were not broken, and found that those options
broke the Mac booting.

I need to look at the DHCP output from Syslog more but work and school need
a lot of attention right now so hopefully I'll have more information
tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks again for all your help,
                                Max