[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple MACs and single IP

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Feb 7 20:30:52 GMT 2010

David Kovalsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to suggest a feature to dnsmasq for the DHCP functionality.
> The ability to have same IP address for multiple MAC addresses.
>
> My goal is to be able to have same IP for both my wifi and wired
> connection so I can switch back and forth without losing connections.
> My setup and more info is described in the openwrt bug tracker:
> https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/6205
>
> Does this sound interesting to others?

It's already supported. The crucial thing to understand is that if
dnsmasq leases an IP address to MAC-address-1, it can't normally break
that promise and lease it to MAC-address-2 whilst the lease is valid.
Hence when MAC-address-2 turns up, it gets a pool address instead.

You can explicitly give dnsmasq permission to break the promise by
putting both addresses in the _same_ dhcp-host line:

dhcp-host=<MAC-address-1>,<MAC-address-2>,<IP-address>

You probably need to go back to oprnwrt and get them to enhance the GUI
system to support this.

HTH