[Dnsmasq-discuss] IP address based on switch port number (option 82)

Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert redbully at cc.hs-owl.de
Thu Feb 18 12:04:37 GMT 2010

Simon Kelley schrieb:
> Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert wrote:
>
>> I see where this will all lead to ... a tag construction tool with dnf
>> generation and Quine–McCluskey minimizer.
>
> Perfect! I look forward to the patch. My non-backpropagating tag-if
> evaluator took 11 lines of code. I'll give you an allowance of double
> that :-)

Me and my big mouth...
Maybe i didn't express myself right. I didn't thought of that as a runtime
component of dnsmasq.
dnsmasq would simply evaluate what it finds in its config, no fancy whatsoever.

This DNF evaluation is nice and correct, but very "raw" (at times) and a nice
brain jogging for the average admin. Simple cases are still easy (would mean no
need to change a thing for the majority of setups), but it can get complex to
achieve "involved" logic. It is like a GAL or a CD4019. Infinite in possability,
but at some point you better can show some millimeter of "digital guru beard"
(for the analog equivalent see Bob Pease).

What i meant in this little comment was more like an external tool where someone
can specify it's matching needs in a more practical/natural manner and klicks
"make it so", and it would throw out some lines of "tag-if", one can c&p in his
config. Ideally you can klick your needs, some kind of GUI. This can be written
in some scripting language, evaluation time is unimportant, some seconds is fast
enough. This could even be a webpage either with scripting on the server or JS-foo.
@Helmut: Yes, sure, but from the above, it is better than nothing, "simple",
maybe readily available (don't know, some "import from logic.quine" in some of
those fancy languages?).

ATM i'm more interrested at seeing the evaluation code, i have some thoughts
going around my head how to make such an DNF evaluation efficient (with
bitfields), and get in some kind of edge triggered back propagation.

After i get this to_base32 code fast...

> Cheers,
>
> Simon

Greetings
	Jan

--
If you're sending someone Styrofoam, what do you pack it in?