[Dnsmasq-discuss] [BUG] Bogus IP address in the syslog messages

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Feb 20 16:21:06 GMT 2010

Sergei Zhirikov wrote:

> As I said, there is only one IP address. I have also used tcpdump to
> watch both DHCP and DNS communication. The address 216.230.6.8 does
> not show up anywhere. (As a sidenote: I found it a bit surprising
> that despite "not giving name wafer ..." dnsmasq returns that same
> host name in the DHCPACK message to the client)

The name didn't go into the DNS, but it's still what the client is
called or called itself in the DHCP transaction, and the name is matched
against dhcp-host lines, so it's useful information to have.

>> Now try restarting dnsmasq and repeating the dig query. If you get
>> the same result you must have some obscure configuration hidden
>> away somewhere (--addn-hosts?) If the problem has cleared then we
>> have a mystery to solve.
>
> Here comes the funny part. I should have mentioned that in my first
> message. If I restart dnsmasq the bogus address remains the same most
> of the time, *but not always*. If I run another dnsmasq binary (I
> still have one of version 2.51, that I used before the last upgrade)
> then the bogus address is different from the one I get with 2.52.
> This makes me think it somehow depends on the memory layout of the
> running process. Those mysterious addresses are not completely
> random. All that I have seen so far have form xxx.xxx.6.8.
>
> Of course, I can't be sure it's memory corruption, but it certainly
> looks very much like one.

I just tried a superficially similar config here, and no problems.

> By the way, dnsmasq is running on an LFS system, which I have built
> myself. Every single line in every single configuration file is
> written by me, that's why I'm quite sure it isn't some obscure
> configuration issue. Although, I did try "grep -rF '216.230.6.8'
> /etc", just in case, and it came up with nothing, as I expected.
>
> I'm puzzled...

You need to get down with the debugger, I think.

Simon.