[Dnsmasq-discuss] "Black-holing" local machines

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Thu Mar 18 10:15:40 GMT 2010

I would like to configure dnsmasq to send machines whose MAC addresses
aren't specified in the configuration file to a "blackhole" subnet, so
that they can't easily route to the internet, or stop them getting an ip
address at all.

If I used *:*:*:*:*:* as the MAC identifier, would "ignore" be the way
of doing this?

    # Never offer DHCP service to a machine whose
    # ethernet address is 11:22:33:44:55:66
    #dhcp-host=11:22:33:44:55:66,ignore

I'm anxious to ensure that the machines with MAC addresses provided
should still receive their ip addresses, however.

Advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
Rory

--