[Dnsmasq-discuss] seperate DHCP- and PXE-Server

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Sat Mar 27 15:24:00 GMT 2010

Hallo,

how can I put the PXE server onto another machine than the DHCP server?

I have 2 servers in my LAN, 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.7

When I stop the dnsmasq on one of the machines and run the other as a
PXE and DHCP server, with

        dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0

then all works fine.

When I only stop the DHCP server on the second machine with

        no-dhcp-interface=eth0

then this machine works as desired: no DHCP (the first machine makes the
DHCP server as desired).

But when I tell the first machine (which shall work only as the DHCP
server, not as the PXE server)

        dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,192.168.0.7

it ignores the IP address of the second server and works instead as the
LAN PXE server - what goes wrong?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut