[Dnsmasq-discuss] i should know this...

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Apr 3 18:11:50 BST 2010

AJ Weber wrote:
> Using the "server" directive works perfectly, as you said.  Thank you
> for the reply.
>
> 1) Why did we (you, but I remember there being some "discussion around
> it) decide not to implement the CNAME such that it would allow for an
> "external" reference?  I remember there was a fairly good reason, but I
> can't remember.

It's not something which I regard as desirable, but it comes from an
limit of the architecture of dnsmasq which means that all the data in a
DNS reply has to come from an upstream server, or all of it has to come
from dnsmasq; there's no way to mix the two.

> 2) The idea of having a default ip-address/resolve-address such as your
> suggestion to use all zeros = use the default/configured DNS servers is
> excellent.

I think so too: I'll add it to the list....