[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq nameserver order

kareemy kareemy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 16:51:49 BST 2010

I'm using dnsmasq provided with Tomato. My goal is to use my ISP
supplied DNS servers but also have a backup dns server such as
8.8.8.8. Within Tomato, I set 8.8.8.8 as a static DNS. My
/etc/resolv.dnsmasq is as follows:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 192.168.15.1

192.168.15.1 is my ISP dns (its actually my Clear WiMax modem which
then goes to my ISPs real dns). So I want to know which server dnsmasq
will favor. I understand if strict-order is set then dnsmasq will
always prefer the first nameserver (in this case 8.8.8.8). I do not
have strict-order set. The man-page states "By default, dnsmasq will
send queries to any of the upstream servers it knows about and tries
to favour servers that are known to be up."

In my case, both servers are up and I assume dnsmasq knows about both
of them. I would like it to prefer 192.168.15.1. How does it pick
which server to use when all of them are up?

Thanks,
Kareem