[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS does not work (UNCLASSIFIED)

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Apr 26 20:59:56 BST 2010

Hakenson, Gary C CIV USA ATEC wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: FOUO
>

> I am using dig to send a query to dnsmasq but I never get a response
> back, the connection times out.
>

> My dnsmasq.conf looks like this:
>

> no-resolv
>

> local=/localdomain/
>

> expand-hosts
>

> domain=localdomain
>

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You're stopping dnsmasq from getting upstream DNS servers from
/etc/resolv.conf (no-resolv) but you're not supply any other
nameservers. I wouldn't expect queries to time out, but I would expect
them to fail.

Try adding

log-queries

to /etc/dnsmasq.conf and then looking in the syslog, you should be able
to see if queries are getting to dnsmasq and if so what it's doing with
them.