[Dnsmasq-discuss] wrong response code for no SRV record

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Apr 30 14:05:13 BST 2010

Rahul Amaram wrote:
> Hi,
> I think I have found a bug in dnsmasq though I am not sure if this is
> the anticipated way it works. In /etc/dnsmasq.conf, it is mentioned:
>
> # A SRV record indicating that there is no LDAP server for the domain
> # example.com
> #srv-host=_ldap._tcp.example.com
>
> which means when a query for this record is made it is supposed to send
> a NXDOMAIN reply but this does not happen.
>
> I am attaching a patch which makes it behave this way. Kindly review it
> and let me know if I have misinterpreted something.
>
> Looking forward to an early reply.

I think you have mis-interpreted the way this works. NXDOMAIN means that
there is no data in the DNS for the given domain. That is not what's
happening here. The example line returns a valid SRV record for
_ldap._tcp.example.com which happens to be empty. The "domain" refers to
_ldap._tcp.example.com and not the domain which may be returned as part
of the reply.

Have you encountered real-world problems with the existing behaviour?