[Dnsmasq-discuss] configurable stop-dns-rebind?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat May 15 21:05:53 BST 2010

clemens fischer wrote:
> Hi Simon, did you intend to send this privately?  The dnsmasq list was
> not Cc'ed.
>
>> Simon Kelley:
>
>> clemens fischer wrote:

>>> Sorry, I don't understand that last sentence.
>> Javascript or whatever running on a browser may be able to make
>> connections to the same machine via 127.0.0.1 that would not  pass
>> through a firewall. It's possible to do that by using the domain
>> "localhost" which always resolves to 127.0.0.1, it doesn't need a
>> special domain returning IP addresses to do it.
>>
>>> AFAIK the rebinding attack makes user programs act as proxies after an
>>> attackers domain suddenly resolved to a rfc1918 IP.
>> exactly, the proxies can be used to attack the machine they are
>> running on too.
>
> As a matter of fact, any program asking for an IP and getting one from
> the RFC1918 range could turn into a proxy.  The users browser being the
> prime target for this attack.  This is what I meant by "proxy".

>>> But then what is rob supposed to do with his VPN's?  He needs RFC1918
>>> IPs and cannot use stop-dns-rebind currently.
>
>> Good point, maybe both changes are needed?
>
> To me your changes from test25..test27 were quite adequate by using the
> bogus-priv checks.  Rob said he wants his VPN remotes to resolve.  I can
> imagine he just enters the remotes as rebind-domain-ok domains and be
> happy.

I think so too, but it doesn't fix my problem of the large-and-growing
list of possible RBL domains in spamassassin rules. To avoid having a
large number of domains in /etc/dnsmasq.conf, removing 127.0.0.0/8 from
the addresses banned by stop-dns-rebind works much better, and doesn't
remove any protection.

> BTW, I tested test27 and it's working perfectly.  It's fast and the
> logging is much better for my purposes than anything bind or pdnsd give
> me.

Great. I've put up test28 which makes the 127.0.0.0/8 change, and also
allows

rebind-domain-ok=thekelleys.org.uk

without the '/' characters if only one domain is given. That will catch
people out otherwise.

> gruss, clemens
> regards, clemens
>

> PS:  Since you sent a private mail, I don't feel authorized to Cc the
> list, but you can do this if you want.

I sent it privately by mistake, sorry: CC:ing the list this time.....