[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: dnsmasq-2.53 release candidate 1

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Sat May 22 14:57:48 BST 2010

Matthias Andree wrote:

> Simon Kelley:
>
>>>            Allow --log-facility=- to force all logging to
>>>            stderr. Suggestion from Clemens Fischer.
>
> Clemens Fischer:
>
>> I have all daemons running supervised by runsv, where the logs go
>> to stderr and the superviser process manages a pipe between the
>> daemon and the logger, which in turn does filtering, rotation and
>> compression.  This not only provides for very good logging, but also
>> allows making one-off daemons/handlers easy.  Some of my programs
>> are simple scripts taking network-I/O from stdin/stdout connected by
>> ipsvd and logging to stderr.
>
> Yes, but --log-facility allowed using files already if you included a
> dash; so why does this need to be special cased?
> --log-facility=/dev/stderr should just work.  For me it appears to do
> work.

That depends on the version you're using.  dnsmasq 2.52 did all sorts of
things to stderr:  close, reopen and truncating on occasion, and the
descriptor 2 was dup'ed from /dev/null.  I could only make it work by
patching out the latter, before Simon did his magic.

clemens

PS:  Hi Matthias, long time no see 8-)