[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: dnsmasq-2.53 release candidate 1

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue May 25 09:23:16 BST 2010

Kyle Kienapfel wrote:
> Since you're issues trouble I'll pipe up and mention something I'm
> poking at as time permits.
>
> I've been having trouble with dnsmasq and gpxe. gpxe 0.9.9 works with
> dnsmasq 0.51 but not version 0.52
> gpxe 1.0.0 works with 0.52 since it listens on port 4011 as well as
> the regular dhcp port.
>
> I flashed a few network cards with gpxe 0.9.9, so an upgrade would
> take awhile. Right now as a kludge I can run dnsmasq 0.51 regularly
> and dnsmasq 0.52 with --dhcp-alternate-port=2 as with
> --dhcp-alternate-port=4011 it tried to open port 4011 twice and failed
> the second time :)
>
> Is there something i can set to make the newer dnsmasq builds work
> with me olde gpxe roms?

I'm not sure what's going on here. The history is that there were
changes made to both gpxe and dnsmasq to make them mutually compatible.
Old dnsmasq and new gpxe, new gxpe and old dnsmasq or new dnsmasq and
new gxpe should work; only old pxe and old dnsmasq are incompatible. I'm
not sure how "new" and "old" relate to version numbers here, I could
probably deduce the relationship for dnsmasq, but not gpxe.

What's surprising is that dnsmasq 2.51 -> 2.52 regresses with gxpe
0.9.9. Could you make packet captures of gpxe 0.9.9 with each version of
dnsmasq and send them to me?