[Dnsmasq-discuss] failed to bind server socket for : Address family not supported by protocol

niels at netbox.org niels at netbox.org
Tue May 25 18:39:00 BST 2010

Hello

I’ve recently upgraded to 2.53test27 (from freebsd:ports 2.52 stable) because I noticed dns blacklists were not working with the stop-dns-rebind option, and I wanted to use the new (temporary?) rebind-domain-ok option.

This caused the following error:
May 25 18:02:05 xxx dnsmasq[58660]: failed to bind server socket for 192.168.1.7: Protocol not supported
May 25 18:02:05 xxx dnsmasq[58660]: FAILED to start up

The funny thing here being that 192.168.1.7 is on the local network but is *not* an address on the host running dnsmasq.

This only occurs with configuration option bind-interfaces in effect: after removing bind-interfaces things work as they should.

So I suspect something has changed with the implementation of bind-interfaces that causes dnsmasq to try bind to bogus addresses in some cases.

Best regards,

Niels Poppe