[Dnsmasq-discuss] 2.53rc2

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Thu May 27 23:49:20 BST 2010

> Binding 192.168.3.1:67 means that packets from unconfigured hosts which
> are sent to 255.255.255.255:67 have problems on some platforms.
>
> If you set --bind-interfaces then dnsmasq will set the SO_REUSEADDR flag
> on that socket, which allows you to run a relay which also listens on
> *:67, as long as it also sets that flag.
>
> On my list is to add a command-line option to dhcp-helper to do exactly
> that.

IIRC if you use SO_REUSEADDR to bind two sockets to the same address,
it is undefined which of them receives incoming datagrams.  It's
possible that some are delivered to one and some to another, and there
may even be operating systems that deliver to all bound sockets, but
relying on the behavior would be non-portable.