[Dnsmasq-discuss] segfault - Re: No dnsmasq after starting openVPN?!

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Sun Jun 6 11:06:48 BST 2010

On 05.06.2010 23:48, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> Can you attach to the dnsmasq process with gdb beforehand, then start
> the vpn and get a stack trace of the crash?

I think I need some help. How exactly do I have to do this?

What I did try yet:
run dbg against the dnsmasq process, e.g.:
gdb /usr/sbin/dnsmasq 4304

Question: What do I have to enter at the gdb prompt?

I did not enter anything but just started openvpn. The dnsmasq process
did not disappear. In gdb I entered "c" and after this "bt" and "q":

Reading symbols from /lib/i686/cmov/libnss_files.so.2...(no debugging
symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/i686/cmov/libnss_files.so.2
0xb7747424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) c
Continuing.

0x08067830 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08067830 in ?? ()
#1  0x0805d41d in ?? ()
#2  0xb758fc76 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#3  0x0804a711 in ?? ()
(gdb) q
A debugging session is active.

         Inferior 1 [process 5144] will be detached.

Quit anyway? (y or n) y
Detaching from program: /usr/sbin/dnsmasq, process 5144

Another question: Don't I need debug symbols for dnsmasq? So do I have
to compile dnsmasq myself with somehow a debug option set?

Thanks,
Arno