[Dnsmasq-discuss] domain-search option "." (Re: Announce: dnsmasq-2.55)

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Fri Jun 11 20:31:26 BST 2010

Simon Kelley wrote:

> Well, this is real one. The heuristics that determine the data-type of
> the option data get confused by "." and decide that it's an IP
> address.  (I was testing the change with a list of search domains,
> which was enough to make things work.)
>
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.56test2.tar.gz
>
> Does a better job by a) making a better guess based on the text of the
> option value and b) Using information about the expected data type for
> known options.

If this is how it's supposed to work, it works.  Tcpdump says:  "T119
Option 119, length 1: 0", dnsmasq-2.56test2 logs:  "2628496248 sent
size:  1 option:119:domain-search  00".

BTW:  what does the number "2628496248" mean?  It can't be a date in
unix seconds, and it certainly isn't the PID.

clemens