[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problems with dnsmasq configuration

Danijel Šili shinhan7 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 23:05:04 BST 2010

I'm 99% sure this is due to me not doing something right, but seeing as
nobody on ubuntuforums ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9504944 )
was able to help me, I wanted to ask here for help.

My config is:
# /etc/dnsmasq.conf

domain-needed
bogus-priv
address=/doubleclick.net/127.0.0.1
except-interface=eth0
dhcp-range=interface:eth1,192.168.1.10,192.168.1.127,12h
dhcp-range=interface:eth2,192.168.2.10,192.168.2.127,12h
log-queries

(eth0 is lan card toward ADSL router, eth1 is lan card toward wireless AP,
and eth2 is lan card toward wired switch)

Every time I start dnsmasq I get "failed to bind DHCP server socket: Address
already in use". Googling this error for dnsmasq prompted me to run "netstat
-antuevp" (and netstat with various other parameters) as well as "lsof -i"
and I always got only portmap, rpc.statd, smbd, sshd, mysqld, named, samba
and apache2 in the list of programs. I used to have dhcpd but I did remove
it.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.