[Dnsmasq-discuss] File System Access by Dnsmasq

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Aug 9 13:44:35 BST 2010

Robert Pollai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running dnsmasq on a NAS from Synology. The NAS puts its disks
> into standby if they are not needed and I want to move all files
> accessed by dnsmasq to a USB flash drive, so that dnsmasq won’t wake
> up the disks.
>
> So far I have done that for the log file and lease file by adding the
> following two lines to the configuration file:
>
> dhcp-leasefile=/volumeUSB1/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.lease
> log-facility=/volumeUSB1/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.log
>
> But still the disks seem to wake up when I switch one a device that
> fetches an IP via DHCP.
>
> Are there any other files that dnsmasq accesses, directly or through
> the operating system? Is the configuration file accessed regularly or
> only on startup?

The configuration file is only read at startup. /etc/resolv.conf is
checked regularly, but that's correlated with DNS queries, not DHCP
transactions. You can use --no-poll to stop that.

Those two files are the only ones written durring a DHCP transaction. Of
course if you have a script configured that runs when a DHCP lease is
created, that could do anything.