[Dnsmasq-discuss] Random IP address in the pool with dhcp-script?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Aug 27 21:44:09 BST 2010

Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out howto give a different IP address,
> preferably random, in a pool, by invoking the dhcp-script.
>
> Any idea how to do that?

It's not possible: information flows fomr dnsmasq to the dhcp-script,
but not the other way. In fact the address is allocated long before the
script is run.

The addresses allocated by dnsmasq are fairly "random" anyway. If you
can describe in more detail exactly what you are trying to achieve, we
can probably make suggestions.