[Dnsmasq-discuss] interaction with active directory

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 22:01:52 GMT 2010

I'm working on my MCITP certification and deployed a test Win 2008 R2
server in my home network.

while running dcpromo.exe trying to get my new box to be a domain
controller I got an error message when I said that another box was the
dns server.

Something about not being able to update the zone files.  (sorry I'm
not in front of that box at the moment)

I googled for "dnsmasq and active directory" and I got two hits one
was a sample config file for dnsmasq that had some windows specific
stuff enabled, and the other was user contributed patch for dnsmasq
and AD records.

Unfortunately for me this is simply not enough information.

I have a hunch from these two google hits that what I want to do is
possible.  But no idea how to pull it off.

So I put it to the list:

How do you integrate AD 2008 R2 with dnsmasq for AD compatible DNS service?

Thanks for any constructive comments.

And as for the less than constructive comments:  Im doing this because
I'm getting paid to study the MCITP and I really don't want to screw
up my home network that is functioning just fine without any windows
intervention.

I want as painless and easily reversible setup as possible for when
the class is over and I'm no longer running an AD server in my home.